Join MySurvey and get Rewarded for giving your Opinion!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

First Shopping Trip to Aldi


I finally went to Aldi today to purchase groceries. I was really glad to see the great deals were still available!
Here's what I found:
10 lbs of Russet potatoes for 1.99
Bananas for .39 a lb!
2 green bell peppers for .99 (that's 50 cents a pepper!)
90 percent lean ground sirloin for 2.95lb.
Large eggs for 89 cents
Red Grapes for less than 1.00 a lb! (1.58 for a two lb. container!)
white bread for .69 a loaf
whole wheat bread for 1.19 a loaf!
And lots of other great deals.

In all I spent 25.54 (I had a 5.00 Aldi coupon) and got everything in the picture:
10lbs potatoes
2 packs fruit snacks
onions
bananas
pepperoni (for pizza)
green peppers
sliced cooked ham
sliced roast beef
ground sirloin (about 2.5lbs)
eggs
instant oatmeal
bananas
grapes
bread (2 loaves)

Most of what I bought are things that I don't have coupons for, like produce and meat. That's the kind of shopping I plan to do at Aldi, and I will likely stick to Kroger/Albertson's for the other things, with a trip to Sprouts for great deals there as well.

I have a goal starting next week:
$60 a week for groceries total! If I can do that, then I would like to see if I can go down lower ($40).

I have found that the more planning ahead that I do, the less it costs and the better quality foods we eat. We are eating much less pre-made and prepackaged foods. For example, tonight I made "spaghetti pizza" (my own recipe/version) instead of ordering out pizza. I used pizza dough, turkey meat, spaghetti sauce, and cheese. Yummy! It's all gone! I had all the items in the freezer/pantry already.

No comments:

Post a Comment