I sent an email off to the Target corporate offices about my experience yesterday with the cashier and manager who did not want to accept coupons.
I got a very polite and timely response (Thanks Target!) that apologized and explained the following coupon policy:
We (Target) use the following guidelines:
- We accept two kinds of coupons: Target-issued and manufacturer-issued.
- We'll accept one Target coupon and one manufacturer coupon for the same item, unless either coupon prohibits it.
- We can't give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item; in this case, we're able to adjust the value of the coupon to equal the price of the item.
- We can't accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
- All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier while you're checking out.
So I am printing this out and heading up there later to have a little chat with the manager. They should know their own store's policies! And Target WILL adjust coupons so you can get free items (just like they have always done...except this one time).
The response also gave me a number and contact person to call, which I will later today.